Friday, December 8, 2006

Thumbs Up for Trans Fat Ban

If you have read any of my posts you would know when it comes to civil rights I side on civil rights vs. laws that limit them. Turns out that a lot of people are trying to make the trans fat law that was passed in New York a civil rights issue. I don't see how this compares at all. You can still choose to eat your junk food, just instead of using trans fat poison, you now will get it made with a natural veggie product like it should be made.

What goes into food needs to be regulated. As it is, food makers insert dyes and all kinds of other unnatural products into food to make it look "better" than it really is. The FDA does approve those items but are they necessary? Can you imagine if the food makers were allowed to put whatever they wanted into food? Regulation needs to happen.

If trans fats were a new product and we knew up front the health risks associated with them, they would never be allowed on the market. All New York is doing is removing a dangerous product from the market, nothing more.

As for the argument of "I want the choice to eat trans fats if I want" here is what I have to say about that. Fine, if you want to use trans fats to make fries, then give me a choice to have fries made in oil without trans fats. There is no "choice" when it comes to trans fats. Take it or leave it isn't a choice. Besides, the argument of people needing choice seems to come from the food preparers not the customers.

So kudos to you New York. I'd like to see other states pick up on the trans fat ban. I'd really like to see a nation wide adaptation of this trans fat ban.




No comments: